Indefinite Leave To Remain After 5 Years

If you initially have refugee status and then you are granted UK Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), you are allowed to stay in the United Kingdom without any immigration restrictions.

ILR is not a permanent status, but if you have continuously remained in the UK for 12 months upon being awarded ILR, then you can apply for naturalisation.

As a refugee, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain after completing your residency in the UK for 5 years.

We can now offer to assist you in applying for naturalisation. Please contact us and we'll arrange a FREE consultation to determine if you qualify for ILR.


Click the enquire button and we'll arrange a free consultation.

Refugee Requirements for ILR

To be eligible for ILR, you need to meet certain conditions. These are listed below:

  • Continuous residence in the United Kingdom for a 5 year period
  • The applicant has not been absent from the UK for more than 180 days during a 12 month qualifying period
  • Passing the Life in the UK test
  • Not having any grounds fro refusal e.g. any extremist behaviour or criminal convictions
  • Showing good levels of English and being deemed of good character

Only when you meet the above will your application to the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) be considered. Read more about this at the UK Visas & Immigration Rules.

In addition to the above, refugee clients will need to argue to case that it is still unsafe to return to their country of origin e.g. that it is still unsafe to return.

If you are also able to demonstrate that you have established a family life in the UK with connections, then this will enhance your ILR application.

What about my Partner or Child?

Your partner or child can request to join you in the UK if:

  • 1
    You were separated when you were forced to leave your country of origin.
  • 2
    You were awarded status as a refugee under humanitarian protection for 5 years.

Whilst we do not do any Family Reunion assistance in house at Stride Partnership, we can refer you to charitable partners and affiliates that do offer this service.